Sydney, Australia

Sydney, Australia

Monday, January 27, 2014

Well this week was a relatively uneventful week. We visited church members, gave spiritual thoughts to them, gave a little service, and that's about it. I must say though, I was super excited on Wednesday. I have made it to a whole new level in life, I can now solve one side of a Rubik's Cube! Yep, I'm pretty proud of myself (:
Elder Detton and I helped this guy named Vern set up his yard sale and he rewarded us with a bunch of foreign coins and currency! If you know me really well, you'd know that I am amazed with foreign money! I have a collection back home and he gave me coins from places all over the world! Plus the currency was from South Africa, Nigeria, and the Philippians! I was pretty excited.
Saturday night we went to Kathy and Wayne's race and it was sweet! There were heaps of people there and it was fun to support a great member of the church and her fantastic husband! Kathy got 4th and Wayne got 1st! It was so cool!
I experienced something new yesterday at church. For the first time in 19 years of going to church, a stray dog ran into sacrament meeting right in the middle of Mel's talk! Keep in mind, we're not meeting in a great huge chapel, we're in a small room that fits about 30 people comfortably. Everyone started laughing, it was pretty great! :) Yesterday was also Australia Day! It was my first time being apart of that! Pretty exciting stuff.
I've been thinking a lot about fathers this past week and the influence they have on their sons (also applies for mothers and their daughters). I've been thinking about this because I'm in an area where the church is very small and is generally focused on the family. I was thinking about how much of a role model my father is to me, how I look up to him. I see the good, as well as the not so good, yet I still follow his every footstep, I still want to be like him one day. That's when I was thinking, the ultimate goal of a father is to have his son one day stand on top of his shoulders. My goal was to simply reach my father's level and be as good as him. A father wants so much more, he wants me to be the best I can be, reach my full potential. Similarly, our Heavenly Father wants us to reach our full potential. He see's the good, as well as the not so good, in us. Yet he'll love us unconditionally until the end and help us reach our highest potential, perfection. The only way we can become perfect is through Jesus Christ, through the Atonement that he performed for us. I am so thankful for all that my Heavenly Father, as well as my earthly father, for the great example they are to me and I hope one day I can please them both and reach my highest potential.
Love you all,
Elder Macfarlane 

No comments:

Post a Comment