Sydney, Australia

Sydney, Australia

Monday, April 28, 2014

Hello hello hello!
This week I went on multiple trade-offs with the zone leaders. A trade-off is pretty self explanatory, I go with one of the zone leaders, and my companions go with the other zone leader, so we basically trade-off. Makes sense right? :) So anyways, I went with Elder Samuela Monday and Tuesday, then Elder Makihele on Wednesday. It was a great learning experience and still a good, fun time. Over the course of those two days we taught 12 lessons to investigators, less actives, or recent converts. It was a great missionary start to the week! Thursday, I had to teach District Training Meeting, since I'm the District Leader, and it went well. I taught about the importance of applying the lessons that we teach to our own lives, not just to the lives of our investigators. I focused on lesson 3, which is titled "The Gospel of Jesus Christ". It focuses on the importance of Faith, Repentance, Baptism, the Holy Ghost, and Enduring to the End.
We had some great ward activities this week! We had one on Friday and Saturday. Friday was a sport day. We played basketball, volleyball, relay races, ping pong, sack races, and ate food from 10am to 6pm. It was so much fun and a great way to get the ward more unified! I loved it! I even won the sack race in my category, but only barely. I had to dive over the finish line to make sure I had it! :) Then Saturday we had a skit Traveling Through the Book of Mormon. We basically told the whole Book of Mormon in the play. I was a narrator because the people here said I have a perfect narrator voice.. I'm not sure if that was sincere or if they just didn't want me doing anything else... ;) But nonetheless it was heaps of fun! Pictures will come soon!
I experienced a miracle this week. One of the zone leaders hurt his ankle at the ward activity Friday while doing the sack race (trying to beat me... HA!), we found out it was sprained. He wasn't able to walk that night so Elder Makihele and I gave him a priesthood blessing. In the blessing I said that he would be healed by the next evening so that he could perform in the Book of Mormon play effectively since he was a key part in the story (he was Helaman). He wasn't any better the next morning so I stayed home with him all day. But that night, right before the play, he decided he'd try to walk on it anyways. Now keep in mind, he'd been laying down all day and if he needed to move anywhere he had crutches. And when he tried to walk, he was fine! His foot was, and still is, bruised really bad but he is now able to walk perfectly fine! That was an incredible miracle to witness and be a part of. I love this church and the wonderful miracles that can come from it! :)
The final thing that happened this week that was exciting is that I conducted my first baptismal interview as a District Leader. Sabrina is a young, 9 year old girl who's mother got baptized a few months ago and now she is getting baptized next week! I'm so happy for her and the steps she's making to become closer to her Father in Heaven!
Today I wanted to talk about the power of serving others. Go out of your way this week to help those around you. Make someones life easier by doing something small, you never know the effects of your actions. As missionaries, we are encouraged to give service often. Mosiah 2:17 says "When ye are in the service of your fellow man, ye are only in the service of your God." When you serve others, you are serving God. You are helping God's children and showing love for them. This week I was able to participate in a large service project of cleaning up a woman's yard for her. She had grass up past my knees, bushes that haven't been trimmed, and rubbish all over. We were there for about 3 hours mowing, trimming, and pulling out old plants. We are about 2/3 of the way done and are going to come back later this week to finish. This woman that we helped was so grateful for what we did, she was almost in tears. No one wanted to help her, not her friends, not her neighbors, because they all thought she didn't deserve the help. That is such a sad thought. We are all brothers and sisters, we are all sons and daughters of our Heavenly Father, and we should be treating one another as such. I challenge everyone who reads this to go out and serve someone everyday. Help someone bring groceries to their car, help clean the house, clean up someones yard, compliment someone, give a smile, tell your family you love them and mean it! As you do this, I can promise that you will see blessings arise in your life and you will become a happier person.
I love you all!
Elder Macfarlane

No comments:

Post a Comment