Sydney, Australia

Sydney, Australia

Monday, March 24, 2014

It's the most wonderful time of the year! MARCH MADNESS!! The only down side to this fantastic time is that I don't get to watch it! I'm hoping I can get permission from the mission AP's (Assistants to the President) to watch it with investigators as a "bonding time" but I don't foresee that happening. However, regardless of not being able to watch the games, I made a bracket! Keep in mind I have absolutely zero knowledge of what happened this season so I'm going off mostly dumb luck. But I say Florida is taking it all! I'm hoping for the best :)
I have some semi-good news for you this week! So, last week Tyler, our recent convert, moved away with him mom and little brother to "hide" from the world. Well, we found Tyler's mother yesterday at Narooma Club and had the opportunity to talk with her about the situation. Turns out Tyler's mom would love to have us still come over and teach Tyler and have Tyler in the church. The reason this is only semi-good news is because she also said that the reason Tyler hasn't been to church the last few weeks is because of his father, who is one of our progressing investigators along with his soon-to-be wife. Apparently he doesn't want Tyler to go to church. BUT, according to him, he would LOVE Tyler to continue going to church with them, they've loved everything about church so far so why wouldn't they want that to continue! BUT, Ray also hasn't been to church for the past 2 weeks and doesn't respond to any texts or calls we send... What the heck? So yeah, it's good news because we found him, but now we've gotta figure out this problem!
Tuesday was an adventurous morning! We went over to the Kamer's house and cleaned out their storage area underneath their house. They had found 2 mice the night before so we were being careful while cleaning. Then when we were almost finished clearing out the storage area and having everything out in their yard, we found the mice! Three more mice were scurrying around and they sent their dog, Brick, after them. Now keep in mind, I have never seen this dog do anything remotely manly. It was super confused at first because we just threw him in the room and were all yelling his name to go in different directions. I was in the room with Brother Kamer trying to get this sweet, loving dog to kill the stupid mice. Finally Brick saw the mice and went into attack mode! That was the funniest thing ever! Brick took them all down quick, then we finished them with a shovel... enough said :) Anyways, that was a pretty exciting service project!
This weekend we had the Ulladulla and Nowra Elders down in our flat. There were 7 of us in our one flat! We were tightly packed... luckily, Elder Detton and I had our beds so we didn't feel too cramped, but everyone else did! We gave them a fan though, so at least they weren't dying of heat too :) The reason they were down in Narooma was because we had DTM (district training meeting), which is what happens every other friday. After DTM, we had a district P-Day. We went to Australia Rock and Potato Point! Australia Rock is just a cool place for pictures and seeing sea lions, but Potato Point is where the kangaroos and wallabies are! There were heaps of wallabies all over the place and one big kangaroo seems to watch over them all. Elder Detton and I went there last week or the week before also, but this time we came prepared. We brought food to feed them! We were out of bread and couldn't find anything else to really feed them, so we fed them pizza flavored crackers, called Shapes. Apparently wallabies LOVE them because they kept eating them! I got heaps of great pictures too! I got to feed and pet live, wild wallabies! :D It was so cool!
That night we had dinner at the Beard's home, which is Islandview Beach Resort. We had some of the best meatloaf I've ever tasted in my life! (no offense mom ;) ) We then had a nice chat around a camp fire telling everyone why we decided to serve a mission. There were 9 missionaries there and both Brother and Sister Beard are returned missionaries, so there was lots to tell and very different stories coming from everyone! It was really cool! It really got me thinking about all the great experiences I've had and being able to relate to others around me. I loved it.
Tuesday morning Elder Detton and I went and had lunch at the Moruya markets. If you happen to ever be down in this area of Australia, go there and get the pizza! We had this pizza that was super good! Even to American pizza standards! It's the first and only pizza I've had in this country that comes anywhere close to pizza back home!
At church yesterday, Sister Beard asked us to go into primary and act as witnesses that saw Jesus Christ Resurrected. I was Thomas (one of the 12 apostles), Elder Detton was Joseph Smith, Sister Peate was a Nephite woman, and Sister Beard was Mary Magdalene. It was fun because we got to dress up and pretend like we were them and share our story. It was really cool. It was cool to learn a little bit more about these people.
That's all for this week! I hope you all have a great week, I love you all! Remember that God loves you! :) He's always there to help! All you've gotta do is ask!
Elder Macfarlane

No comments:

Post a Comment