Sydney, Australia

Sydney, Australia

Monday, March 10, 2014

Oh my goodness gracious.... Tim Tam Slams are hands down one of the greatest things in the country! I have probably gained 10 pounds this week just from that fantastic chocolate sensation! Basically you bite off each end of a Tim Tam and drink milk through it as if it were a straw, then eat the Tim Tam.. Holy mother of pearl that is great! If you ever get the chance to have Tim Tams... have a Tim Tam Slam!
We got the chance to play basketball a few times this week, which is always fun! We played Monday night with just 5 of us and one of the guys there, Tyrone, videoed a one on one game between me and Jesse, the leader of the basketball gang in Narooma. I'm gonna try to get a hold of it and send it home so you all can see it! Wednesday we played a regular 5 on 5 game which was nice and much needed because I got super stressed this week. Finally on Friday, we were in Dapto for zone training (I'll talk about that later) and were invited to play in a 3 on 3 tourney that night with a bunch of Chinese investigators in Wollongong. So obviously we said yes! It was basically street ball; night time, car lights shining, sketchy nets, and people playing in the most random clothing! It was fun though and I had a few good dunks so that felt good!
Tuesday we cleaned our flat for almost the whole day! I cleaned the car for a solid two hours and had the air on full blast the entire time! What I didn't think about was what that would result in... a dead battery. That night we were leaving for youth night and the car won't start! I made a few quick calls (you know, since I know everyone) and we got some help! Vern was nice enough to come over and jump our car for us and we still got to youth night only 10 minutes late!
Speaking of youth night, that was so much fun! We made camp fires and had to cook a sausage (hot dog) over the fire and boil water for hot chocolate! We were given one match to start our fire and if we needed an extra, we would owe 5 pushups, then six, then seven, etc. We had to use 3 matches because our first one broke on the box and second one just failed. But it was all good and super fun!
I saw Vern for the last time on Thursday because he's leaving to work up in Darwin for the next 6 months. We left Thursday to go up to Nowra to spend the night for Zone Training Friday morning in Dapto. The Nowra Elders have a new flat that is super nice! So anyway, Friday was Zone Training and it went well. They just talked about how we can better work with members in missionary work. But after we went and played footie for 2 or 3 hours! It was awesome! I think I'm finally getting the hang of rugby! It has become one of my favorite sports to play now!
The next morning, Saturday, we drove home from Nowra and had our flat inspected by a senior missionary couple, Elder and Sister Haynes. They were in our flat for just over 2.5 hours cleaning, fixing lights, and making a list of new supplies that we need.
Yesterday was Sunday and we had church. But this wasn't like a typical church meeting, we had 12 people at church! This weekend we had a district temple day so everyone was up in Sydney! Out of the 12 people there, we had 6 missionaries! Of those 6 missionaries, 4 of them were senior couple missionaries! I was the second youngest person at church! The youngest was my companion, Elder Detton! After church I met Vern's kid, Franko, who had been living in Vanuatu for the last 2 years. He seems pretty cool. Hopefully we'll start seeing him at church!
That all I've got for you this week! Stay strong and keep on keeping on! :D Love you all!
Elder Macfarlane

No comments:

Post a Comment